Monday, January 29, 2018

Mom's chicken soup

Mom's chicken soup

Homemade chicken soup bears amazing healing properties. This recipe comes from my mother, Margaret Juzwik. Like her, I often make this soup with leftover turkey, often the day after Thanksgiving, but Mom's original recipe calls for chicken.

5 quarts turkey or chicken broth
4 C (or more) chopped chicken (cooked or uncooked)
1 C celery
1/2 C celery leaves
1/4 C onion, finely chopped
2 t salt (or more,
pepper to taste
bay leaf

1/2 C parsley
1 C peas
1 C carrots
2 C green beans
2 C egg noodles (I never put 'em in, but sometimes I use 3/4 C wild rice)

1/4 C butter
1/4 C flour (I usually use oat flour)


1. Add liquid and everything up to bay leaf. Also add rice, if using.

2. Simmer for an hour. Then add parsley and veggies. Simmer until tender. Add noodles, if using.

3. Melt butter in small frying pan. Slowly stir in flour, whisking constantly. Add small amounts of broth from pot and keep adding and stirring until smooth. When you have 1-1 1/2 C, then add to pot and stir.  Simmer for another 15 minutes.

Note: If I want a lighter soup, I leave out the butter and flour.




No comments:

Post a Comment